Sunday, March 6, 2011

MSG what can we do to avoid it

I decided to start this blog after years of trying to avoid MSG.  It's getting harder
and harder to do and most people are not even aware they are eating it because
the FDA in their wisdom has classified MSG in a different way so you are eating
it but it's listed as something else rather than msg due to the % of msg in the ingrerdient
If you want to learn more about that I encourage you to go to Truth in Labeling for their
constant updated list of the hidden sources of msg.  I could list a few for you that I seem
to continually find in foods I would have thought were safe;
Glutamic acid (E 620)2,  Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
Natrium glutamate
Yeast extract
Anything “hydrolyzed”
Any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate,  Sodium caseinate
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Soy protein, soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Whey protein, whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Anything “…protein”
Vetsin
Ajinomoto
There are many more but this gives you a start.
   I found some of these in my Annies Gluten Free Mac and Cheese although it
was not in all their mac and cheese varieties so you need to be diligent and read
your labels. Even a can of black beans or tomatoes can have it added so read read read.
Don't think you can avoid it by going organic because since glutamic acid is something
naturally found in some fruits and vegies it is allowed to be added in organic foods, remember
Annies.
   I am going to try to do an update of items I find at my local store and co-op on a weekly
basis for you and hopefully that will help others who are trying to avoid msg as well.  I consider
myself lucky because it makes me very sick so I know right away that I have eaten it and can
find the culprit, most people are not getting so obviously sick so they are continuing to eat this
addictive and brain altering ingredient.
   Talk to you after my next shopping trip
Pame

No comments:

Post a Comment